Friday, March 11, 2011

Of course my blood pressure is elevated. I'm over weight, damnit!

Nineteen weeks left until my high school reunion and I should just get in under 200 lbs if I keep it up.  Only problem is listening to nurses at the weight loss clinic lecture me about high blood pressure. 

This morning I had a different nurse than usual.  I hate it when they change up on me.  I liked my old nurse.  I explained to her, the very first day, that I had “White Coat Syndrome” and that my blood pressure was a little elevated because I knew she was going to stick me in the butt with a two inch needle, so it would be best to check it again at the end of the weigh in, and subsequent needle sticking.  She did, and sure enough, it had gone back down to about 125 over 75. 

Is this so hard to understand?

So, this morning, at my weekly weigh in, a newer, very young nurse weighed me in, congratulated me on my weight loss, then took my blood pressure.  It was 130 over 90.  Not bad, but a little elevated (we know why).  Then she went and got another nurse to come ask me a bunch of questions and lecturing me about my blood pressure and medications and stuff like that.

Once again, I explained that, in addition to being over weight (which is a leading cause of high blood pressure), I have “White Coat Syndrome” and until they get through giving me my shot, my blood pressure will be a little elevated.  She told me I was making excuses…   I told her she wasn’t a very good listener. 

To make matters worse, she started lecturing me about drinking and that it would sabotage my weight loss.  What part of the 20 lbs that I’ve lost since mid-January has been sabotaged?  You want to see my blood pressure go up, make me continue this stupid diet without any alcohol…   That’ll do it for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Sending you a link to help you overcome this dreaded white coat syndrome.
    Hope you get over this soon lol

    http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/health-issues/high-blood-pressure

    ReplyDelete